21 January 2018 / Club News

Cwmavon v Penlan 20th January 2018


In their home game against Cwmavon at the start of the season Penlan had lost by 10 – 16 but on Saturday they had a stronger side for their away encounter.  The pitch was muddy and in poor condition and Cwmavon must have felt confident to go ahead with the game.  The weather remained dry but cold when the sun went in, which was most of the time.

Before the game got underway referee Mr. Stephen Allsop from Caldicot led players and supporters in a minutes silence in memory of Mitchell Joseph the footballer who had sadly died at Mynydd Newydd the week before during Penlan’s game.  Mitchell was known and respected by a number of Penlan players and members who mourned his sad passing.

The heavy conditions meant that Penlan had to dig deep and rely on their fitness to make headway and they went all out from the minute Cwmavon kicked off.   Early on Penlan had a lineout in the home 22 which was safely won by Robbie Watkins.  They set up a determined push for the line until a last minute pass reached flanker Luke Brooks who powered over for a fine try.

At just before 20 minutes another lineout near the 22 saw Kurt Velardo win the ball and put Penlan on the charge for the line again.  Determined play got through the Cwmavon defence until Stephen Davey made a well timed pass to flanker Adam Glover who made the final unstoppable power over the line to land his fourth try of the season at the corner.  Paul Spowart’s difficult conversion bounced off the crossbar so the Penlan score stood at 10.

Just before 30 minutes Cwmavon found a way through the visitor’s defence to score near the corner which, when converted, made it 7 – 10 at half time.

Cwmavon came out for the second half with determination and in under 3 minutes scored a corner try after some accurate passing at pace to the wing.

Penlan thereafter closed Cwmavon down relying on their forward strength to dominate in the increasingly muddy conditions.  Often it was difficult to recognize which team was which with players covered from head to toe in wet mud.  Cwmavon worked hard to further their slim 12 – 10 lead but Penlan proved strong until at 20 minutes they swung the score in their favour 12 – 13 when full back Paul Spowart safely scored from a penalty kick.  Both teams worked hard to gain advantage, which led to an exciting game of rugby but there was no further result until the final whistle.  Penlan had secured a well deserved win which lifted them two places from their previous bottom league position.  Next week they welcome Builth Wells to Mynydd Newydd which they hope will reverse the 23 – 12 loss that they suffered at the end of October.

All Division 2 West Central results are presently reported as

Brynamman 44  Taibach 10

Builth Wells 3  Maesteg Celtic 10

Cwmavon 12  Penlan 13

Cwmgors 8  Ystradgynlais 19

Nantymoel 27  Morriston 15

Nantyffyllon v Pencoed was postponed

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments